Saturday, November 24, 2012

Scents of Home


Scents of Home
 
 
Sometimes, in the early morning

My daughter climbs into our bed

And presses her head into the

Curve of my shoulder. The searching

Of her long hair between my lips

Smells like honey and salt, warm bread

Pulled, perfectly, from the oven.

 

When I was a child, sometimes I

would awake in the sterile hours

of midnight to the sound of my

mother’s fingers plucking at the

bronze and steel strings of her guitar

in a distant room while voices

sang songs of young girls and soldiers,

of autumn mist and loneliness.

 

They say that scent makes memory.

I think of this as I slice through

The white meat of a green apple

To the small, timid seeds inside.

Sage, red onion and roasting broth,

Ginger, corn bread and cinnamon

Glaze the rise and fall of laughter

Drifting from the room just beyond.

Man and children to seed the breadth

of my arms, making scents of home.

No comments:

Post a Comment